Top 5 Causes of Household Fires
When you were young your mom or dad probably told you not to touch the stove because it was hot. Maybe you ended up touching it at some point on accident, but for the most part you remembered that it was hot and would hurt you. You can probably think of many things like this that your parents taught you.
A big concern for most households is fire safety. This is something that many parents start to teach their children at an early age. As our children get older though, we may become less vigilant with some of these safety tips. Lets just review the top 5 causes of household fires as listed by the NFPA-National Fire Protection Agency.
- Cooking. Cooking is the leading cause of home fires, by an estimated 48% according to one source. Never leave cooking unattended.
- Heating. Heating is the second leading cause of home fires and injuries and the third leading cause of fire related deaths. Fires caused by heating account for $1.1 BILLION in property damage per year.
- Electrical. Electricity is such a part of our daily life that it is easy to forget its power. The NFPA recommends that all electrical work be completed by a licensed repair company to help reduce the risk of damage or fire.
- Smoking. According to the NFPA smoking-cigarettes, pipes, and cigars-account for 17, 200 house fires in 2014.
- Candles. Between 2014-2018 US Fire Departments reported that candle fires caused an estimated $278 Million in property damage.
Hopefully these reminders can help you all stay safe! If fire happens to strike your home SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva will be here to help you! Feel free to call our office at 407-788-3124 anytime.
SERVPRO of Apopka Wekiva is proud to serve Central Florida cities like Orlando, Wekiva Springs, Apopka, Lockhart, Zellwood and many more.