Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Are Storms Flooding Your Orlando Home with Water Damage?
Storms occur in Florida frequently. Call SERVPRO Franchise professionals to restore your home.
Severe Weather Can Flood Orlando Homes
With more recent devastating hurricanes like Irma and Michael that have taken their toll on the state of Florida, Orlando residents are more steadfast than ever before about the possibility of flooding for their homes. Disasters can strike this area in a moment’s notice, and with so many homes throughout the area, widespread flooding can impact many homeowners simultaneously.
While flood damage in Orlando can vary from property to property, your home requires immediate attention and remedial efforts regardless of the severity of the flooding that you experience. Most homeowners lack the specialized equipment and expertise to recover their homes after a disaster like this, so they rely on the availability of professional restoration technicians like our SERVPRO Franchise professionals.
Though resources can get stretched thin through widespread flooding through the communities that we serve, our experienced team responds to every address promptly to provide the same level of care and consideration that your property requires to get restored fully. It is essential to reach out to our team as quickly as you can following a disaster like this so that the appropriate personnel can reach you for estimations, assessments, and mitigation efforts.
With the speed that floodwater can damage your home, you need counteractions that work as effectively. Our SERVPRO Franchise professionals arrive with advanced equipment like our truck-mounted pumps and gas-powered extractors to offer fast removal of excess water. We also have efficient drying equipment that can prove instrumental in preserving the structural skeleton of your flood-damaged home. We can identify the best locations to use machines like our air movers and desiccant dehumidifiers, which both work together to remove moisture and dry out affected elements.
Flooding can occur with little warning when the right storm system is passing through central Florida. With the speed with which these disasters can affect your home, trust in the team that can respond to your emergency just as quickly. You can reach our SERVPRO of Apopka – Wekiva rapid response team 24/7 by calling (407) 788-3124.
Read about Orlando’s beginnings here.
Is Storm Damage Causing Water to Enter Into Your Orlando Home?
Florida has lots of storms and they frequently cause damage to homes.
Depend on Orlando-Based Water Removal Services After a Flood
Living adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean can sometimes mean that your home may become flooded, and you may need to get in contact with a professional company that can provide water removal assistance. A storm hit your home, and the harsh winds forced an opening into your home, through a window. Over the next several hours, as the storm continued, puddles of water began to gather in your living room and stagnate there.
No matter the time, if you find flood damage in your home, it is essential for you to contact local Orlando-based water removal services. Getting in contact with professionals as quickly as possible ensures the smoothest remediation possible. The longer that you wait, the more likely it is for further damages inside your home to make themselves known. To prevent complications, such as mold damage, get in contact with professional help as soon as you can.
SERVPRO Franchise professionals have a hard-earned reputation of being dependable and friendly. We always strive to be kind to our customers and inform them of the situation in their home. Furthermore, we always makes an effort to arrive at your home as soon as possible after your call, because we understand that it is essential to get the water out of your home as quickly as possible.
When we get your call, our IICRC-techs can rush to your home with advanced equipment that is designed to take the water out swiftly. After an explanation of the damage and our solution, we can get to work straight away, using tools like wet/dry vacuums and extractors to remove the puddles along your living room floor. To dry out your flooring that absorbed the water throughout the night, we can use drying mats, and dehumidifiers pull the moisture out of the panels. Once we finish, our SERVPRO Franchise professoinals can return your home returned to preloss conditions in most cases.
If your home floods from a storm, always get help. Speak with SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva by calling (407) 788-3124. Our doors are open 24/7, and we always have technicians ready to help you.
Orlando was originally known as Jernigan. Read more here.
Will A Failing Water Heater Damage Your Apopka Home?
Did you know that a failing water heater is one of the top five sources of residential water damage?
Why SERVPRO is the Smart Choice for Water Removal Services in Your Apopka Home
A common issue in homes, including in Apopka, is water heater failure. Most of these issues result from a sudden burst or a slow leak. Since these devices usually reside in a closet or somewhere else out of sight, you can wind up with a big problem on your hands. Therefore, taking steps to reduce these risks is essential to keep your home dry and safe.
A failing water heater is one of the top five sources of residential water damage. If your home’s water heater has created a water disaster like this, get in touch with SERVPRO staff right away for water removal services in Apopka that are top-notch. We have been professionally trained and equipped to handle all kinds of water damage emergencies and respond to your call quickly, so it is not difficult to see why SERVPRO is the choice you should make to restore your home.
You can many times avoid water heater failure by taking a few simple steps. First of all, know how old your water heater is. If it has reached its life expectancy, the risk of a sudden burst or slow leak goes up. When your water heater has burst and dumped water all over your floor, SERVPRO techs can arrive at your home fast to pump the standing water out with truck-mounted pumps. We also have dehumidifiers and industrial fans to help dry the area out quickly to avoid mold growth.
Another thing to check is the anode rod of your water heater. These are installed to help stop corrosion of the tank. You should inspect it every two years and at least once per year once the warranty has expired. You also need to clean out your water heater on a regular basis. Sediment can be removed by flushing out the tank every six months. Attach a garden hose at the base to the valve there to do so. Make sure you first turn the power off and run hot water until it cools before you flush the tank.
Get a professional plumber to inspect the water heater piping and shut-off valve once per year. Signs of rust, lose or wet joints and broken valves are all signals that more severe damage is possible.
SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva can come to the rescue after your water heater in your home in Lockhart, Zellwood, or Tangerine fails. With the amount of water these appliances can unleash on your home, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (407) 788-3124 any time you need.
Click here to read about Wekiwa Springs State Park.
Could You Be Making a Costly Mistake When Improperly Assessing a Water Damage Remediation Team in Lockhart?
Water damage can stem from either external and internal sources. Contact SERVPRO when facing standing water in your home.
Things to Consider When Sourcing a Water Removal Service in Lockhart
There is a litany of factors to consider when it comes to picking a restoration provider. Property damages are universal which means there are many options to choose from. Time is also a factor which can often add extra pressure to your choice. Here are a few of the things we think are essential to consider when it comes to dealing with property damages and how to make the right choice.
When you need water removal in Lockhart, the first thing you should be considering is how quickly you can arrange a service. Standing water can cause extensive damage if left too long because saturated materials are significantly weaker when wet. SERVPRO uses technicians that live and work in this community. We operate a 24-hour call line and can arrange a service with you, by phone, within one hour of notification of loss.
Although time is undoubtedly a factor, you should consider the quality of the service you choose. One of the critical aspects to look for is evidence of certifiable training. The IICRC is a nationally recognized qualification for restoration services and should be top of your list when picking a restoration company. SERVPRO uses technicians with IICRC certificates in applied structural drying, odor control, and many other vital areas.
One of the reasons qualifications are so necessary is that they guarantee expertise. The small details like knowing how and where to find residual moisture or the dangers of leaving it behind are essential to restoring the property to preloss conditions. Neglecting these aspects can put your property at risk of expensive secondary damages like mold or mildew growth. SERVPRO uses equipment, experience, and industry-leading training to ensure we protect your property for the long haul, not just for a single service.
Finally, removing water is not always as simple as using a pump. We are a local company with access to equipment that is expensive and difficult to attain. Whether we are using advanced drying mats, truck-mounted extractors, rapid air-movers or moisture, and humidity meters, you can trust that using our service gives you access to some of the most advanced technology in the industry.
For a local service with industry-leading expertise and equipment, contact SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva at (407) 788-3124 today.
Click here for more about Lockhart.
What Happens When the Roof on Your Orlando Home Leaks?
Leaky roof? Call SERVPRO to restore the water damage to your home.
Roof Vulnerabilities Can Cause Water Damage in Orlando Homes
With the significant storms that pass through Central Florida and Orlando throughout the year, many homes and businesses remain at risk for developing roof vulnerabilities. While these situations might become very clear if the roof were to collapse in a portion of the property entirely, this is not always the way homeowners learn about the issue. Many homeowners might not know about an issue until the moisture from penetrating water affects the levels beneath the attic space in the higher trafficked areas.
By the time that Orlando homeowners recognize water damage penetrating to the level beneath their basement, the problem has already reached a critical point. Our rapid response team can help by offering a 24-hour emergency response to water damage situations. We provide comprehensive solutions that work to dry out the damaged elements and restore the effects that the penetrating water has caused.
Our commitment to our you includes providing a full-service option that covers every aspect of restoration from the initial inspection through completion. That is why our SERVPRO franchise has trained professionals in all of the industry niches including water restoration, mold remediation, and licensed contractors with the ability to repair structural damages to the roof. Once our team arrives at your home, these contractors can tarp over the damaged portion of roof or board up the affected area to prevent further penetration while the mitigation work for extracting the excess water and drying up the dampness throughout the area gets underway.
With the time that it takes for many homeowners to know there is a problem with their roof, situations could worsen by allowing colonization of mold spores throughout the now damp area of the attic. Our SERVPRO remediation specialists are among the best in the field due to our continued educational approach. We seek to provide our customers with competent technicians who are ready for anything they could face in the field.
While you might not initially know that you have a compromised roof, knowing that you have experienced professionals that can help you take care of all of the damages can provide some peace of mind. Give our SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva technicians a call anytime at (407) 788-3124.
Lake Eola is a giant sinkhole. Read more fun facts about Orlando here.
Fire in Your Orlando Property! Make the Call to SERVPRO
Why Homeowners in Orlando Call SERVPRO for Fire Damage Cleanup and Restoration?
We're Faster To Any Size Disaster
Recovering After a Fire in Your Orlando Home
Disasters that impact your Orlando home can feel overwhelming, especially when the damage is widespread and varied. Fires can change from home to home, offering a different look for experienced professional restorers like ours to prepare for, and making it improbable for homeowners to restore or repair on their own.
Fire damages to your Orlando home are often far more widespread than the actual heart of the fire itself. While first responders and firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the blaze, this often has damaging effects of its own to face. Our SERVPRO technicians undergo extensive training to obtain their IICRC certifications for fire restoration, giving them the education and understanding to tackle any facet of fire damage that could exist on your property. They are even encouraged to continue this educational pursuit through in-house coursework and online classes to obtain other certifications and skill sets that make them better able to care for your fire-damaged home.
From the moment that our team arrives at your home, we get to work on assessing the full scope of the damage to help provide your insurance company with the necessary information to approve a claim. Even while this is happening, we can begin our mitigation work such as handling water damage present from the extinguishment. In conjunction with the water removal we can set up barriers, hydroxyl generators and air scrubbers to immediately begin to reduce the foul odors from the fire. Improving IAQ indoor air quality is a key factor in SERVPRO protecting their customers from adverse effects.
Our SERVPRO franchise focuses on having the most modern and advanced equipment available to our technicians to offer the best quality and prompt services to all of our customers. Equipment such as our gas-powered pumps and ROVER extractors can remove pooling water from affected areas fast. We have efficient drying techniques as well by combining our air movers to force moisture into the environment with our dehumidifiers which trap and remove this moisture from the area.
Recovering from a fire in your home does not have to be more stressful than it already is. You can depend on the fast response and experienced technicians we have at SERVPRO of Apopka-Wekiva. Give our response team a call anytime that disaster strikes at (407) 788-3124.
Big City, Big Fire Department. CLICK
Spot Cleaning Tips & Tricks
· Wax-We’ve all had it happen. Our favorite candle overflows and wax gets all over our furniture. Or, in my case, my cat knocked over a wax warmer and the wax spilled down the wall and onto the carpet. With this tip we will help you get the wax out. If the wax is colored, chances are that no amount of cleaning will rid you of the new colored area. For hard surfaces, such as tables or countertops (or your wall), allow the wax to cool completely and harden. Then it can be easily scrapped off of the surface and thrown away or re-melted (if you’d like to attempt it again). Removing the wax from your carpet it a bit trickier. You’ll want to grab your iron and a white towel. Turn the iron on to the lowest setting (most carpet is made of synthetic fibers, so this step is VERY important). Then fold your white towel in half and place it over the wax. With even pressure and a steady movement, apply the iron to the top of the towel. This will cause the wax to begin to melt and then transfer to the towel. Again, any stain from the color of the wax will stay on both surfaces. If you choose to try to treat the color issue, we recommend that you contact our office so that we can use professional products on the stain. The products sold over the counter have brighteners in them which can cause bleaching where they were used when you have your carpets cleaned next.
· Red Wine- First-BLOT, don’t rub! You can also try to use the towel & iron method on this type of stain if it is a fresh stain. It should pull SOME of the color out. Red wine contains natural dyes, which are cleaned differently than synthetic dyes like you would find in most wax. Once you’ve tried that, if you still need to extract more color, contact our office. We have special cleaning techniques that may allow for greater success when used as soon as possible.
· Blood- In the case of a major clean up job, it’s always best to call in the professionals. Sometimes though, you might have a couple of small drops of blood on your carpet. You can get a cup of ICE water. It is important that the water be as cold as possible. Then pour a little water on each spot. You’ll probably notice that the blood will pool up in the water. Once you’ve covered the spots in ice water, you can go back and BLOT the spots up. This trick usually works very well.
· Paint- Well, there’s not much you can do in this case except for a very HEAVY rinse. The area will need to be saturated and then extracted. This is the type of stain you want to keep wet with a wet towel until our technicians can get to your location. They will then use the truck-mounted extraction system to extract as much paint as possible. Once the paint is extracted a good cleaning will help make sure your carpet doesn’t get that crunchy feeling.
Some important things to keep in mind: Stains are all going to be in one of two categories, natural or synthetic. Knowing which category your stain fits into will help you and your SERVPRO professionals determine the best course of action in handling your issue.
Vacuuming Tips & Tricks
Most people in the Orlando, Winter Springs and even the Winter Garden area have just enough time to run the vacuum over their traffic areas before company arrives. But did you know that there is a proper way to vacuum and that it will also affect the lifespan of your carpet? The following tips from the Carpet & Rug Institute are very helpful. For more information on carpet care, please visit their web site at www.carpet-rug.org
Proper vacuuming is the easiest and most effective way to keep your carpet clean. Regular vacuuming can also have the largest impact on the air you breathe.
To get the most out of your vacuuming regime, remember these few easy tips:
- A quick once-over doesn’t do much. Slow and steady does the trick.
- When vacuuming, don’t ignore those corners and crevices where dust builds.
- “Top-down” cleaning saves you the step of vacuuming again after dusting. Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first and then vacuum away any fallen dust.
- Remember to replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full.
How Often Should You Vacuum?
As a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a quality vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum. The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.
What to Do If You Have Bats in Your Home
Bats. Bat infestations are becoming a more common problem in central Florida for homeowners throughout Orlando including the areas of Apopka, Altamonte Springs, Ocoee, Winter Park, Sanford, Winter Garden, Oviedo, and Maitland Florida. Bats are the only flying mammal and like to have a private space away from predators and bad weather. Where is a good Place? You’re Attic of Course! Here is a list that may be helpful in determining if you have an issue at your property with bats:
· Are there a large number of bats outside the building?
· Has anyone heard scratching or squeaking noises from walls, the chimney, or attic?
· Are there unexplained stains on walls and ceilings?
· Are there rub marks on the outside of the building around areas with holes or cracks?
Bats can carry different diseases that can harm humans in many ways. Rabies being one of the illness. The other is Histoplasmosis. The Mayo Clinic defines it as:
An infection caused by breathing in spores of a fungus often found in bird and bat droppings. Histoplasmosis is most commonly transmitted when these spores become airborne, often during cleanup or demolition projects.
As a side effect of bats living in a home, mold can start to grow in the bat droppings
There is a specialized remediation process to remove the bat droppings from the attic space and dispose of them. SERVPRO Is highly trained in the remediation process for buildings and homes affected by bat infestations. We have completed everything from single family homes to major hotels.
During the removal process all materials that have come in contact with the bat droppings would have to be removed and disposed of under state regulations for bio Hazardous waste. The Items include:
Drywall, insulation, cloth materials, cardboard and wood (depending on the saturation of droppings)
If you have any concerns or think you may have had an infestation of bats, Please call us for an inspection.
Keep Your House Clean In Less Time!
Most of us have very busy lives. Family life has changed so much in the last 20-30 years that it’s almost unrecognizable to an older generation. Gone are the days where a mother would stay at home and take care of her house and her family while her husband went to work and provided for the family’s financial needs. Most households now have both spouses working to provide financially for the family. In the Central Florida area this is a very big thing.
With the ever growing demand to get from place to place and to have our days constantly filled, how do you handle the chores at your house? We found this helpful chart on Pinterest. By breaking down normal household chores into daily, weekly, and monthly items, we found that it helps to make sure everything is accomplished without making anyone feel overwhelmed. Try it out and let us know what you think!
To print out your own copy of this chart, visit http://thriftydiydiva.com/free-cleaning-schedule-printable-daily-weekly-monthly/
How to Select A Carpet Cleaning Company
The following information comes from an article listed on IICRC.org, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification. This information is helpful when deciding which company should handle your carpet cleaning needs.
“Cleaning Carpet Can Be a Dirty Business” “Not All Scum Is In the Carpet” “Don’t Let them Pull The Rug Out From Under You” “Clean Your Carpets Without Cleaning Out Your Wallet” “Don’t Get Taken To The Cleaners.” These clever phrases have appeared recently in newspaper articles and televised news programs across the nation warning consumers about carpet cleaning scam operations. The media has related horror stories of trusting consumers who have responded to low-price carpet cleaning specials only to become victims of unethical cleaners who refuse to honor the advertised price, intimidate the consumers and do poor quality work.
Bait-and-switch operators are prevalent in many industries, and the carpet cleaning industry is no exception. This does not mean that all carpet cleaners are rip-off artists. How do you know who is and who is not? The professional carpet cleaning industry has cited these scam activities as a major industry concern and is taking action to help eliminate unprofessional workmanship and unethical tactics. One of the leaders in this campaign is the IICRC, an international, non-profit organization that certifies cleaners who meet prescribed levels of technical proficiency and pledge to operate by a Code of Ethics.
To help educate consumers so they will not become victims of fraudulent practices within the cleaning industry, the IICRC has released a list of guidelines to consider when selecting a carpet cleaner.
- Price – If an advertised price sounds too good to be true – it is! Often carpet cleaners advertise a low price just to get their foot in the door. Use common sense; a low price usually equates to low quality for any product or service. Legitimate business people have expenses they must cover, including license, taxes, insurance, employee wages, and benefits, and quality tools of the trade. A professional carpet cleaner who must cover all of these business expenses and make a profit to stay in the business cannot afford to drive to your house for $5.95, much less clean a room of carpet when there.
- Quality – Never should the price of cleaning services be the sole criterion for selecting a carpet cleaner. A price that sounds high may not be a signal of a rip-off. In all professions, quality work deserves a quality price.
- Truth in Advertising – Read the fine print in advertised specials to find out exactly what the price includes, and request a firm price in writing before the work begins.
- Training – Professional cleaning firms require management and employees to engage in formal training in a variety of cleaning disciplines, and these educational efforts will be ongoing. Consumers should ask about the formal training background of technicians who will be cleaning their carpet.
- Certification – Professional firms require technicians who have certification from organizations like the IICRC or through comparable franchise or independent training and testing organizations.
- Experience – The years of experience a firm has, combined with formal training programs, contribute significantly to the experience and proficiency of its employees.
- Knowledgeable – Professional firms employ and train technicians who have the ability to answer basic questions regarding carpet performance and maintenance, as well as spotting and cleaning.
- References – Consumers should ask for references from previous customers, and they should consult friends and business acquaintances about the reputation of the cleaning firm they are considering. Do not hesitate to call the Chamber of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau.
- Trade Associations – Professional cleaning firms are members of regional or national trade associations or other organizations that promote high ethical standards and continuing education. Look for trade association logos in advertising.
- Credibility – Community involvement through the Chamber of Commerce and/or professional business, charitable or similar organizations will be undertaken by concerned, caring professionals. Look for logos indicating involvement in these organizations.
- Method – Ask the cleaner which method of cleaning will be used and the advantages and disadvantages of this method compared to other methods.
- Proof – Never hesitate to ask for proof. Ask to see the cleaner’s certification card, business license and insurance certificate.
- No Pressure – Technicians must be courteous and willing to take the time to thoroughly explain the cleaning and to answer all questions. The consumer should never feel pressured.
There is no single criterion for selecting a carpet cleaning service. Several combined factors must be considered in the selection decision.